Saturday, January 20, 2007

Latvian Mittens and Gloves

I purchased these black mittens from a street vendor for 9 Latvian lats (or about $16.75 USD). They are double layered & will be warm on a very cold day. They look nice with my black winter coat. Maybe it will get cold enough in Tennessee for me to wear them!

These red ones are my favorite! They were given to me by a student at the seminary where Steve and I stopped for a visit on January 6th. The student that gave them to me said that his wife had knitted 15 pairs and told him to choose a pair for me. I told him that red was my favorite color and that he made the right choice! I'm giving these to Marissa because they are small and fit her better.

These blue ones were given to me on New Year's Eve from my Latvian friend, Gita. These are double layered as well and are beautifully knitted. I love the cable stitching. It is a tradition in Latvia to say a poem or sing a song before receiving a gift. I couldn't think of anything to say so my poem went like this: "Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm so happy to be here in Latvia with YOU!"


These dark green gloves were also a gift from a seminary student. I love the embroidery work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home